Apply to Our Program
All applicants to MFA@FLA must complete the UF Online Application. To find our program, click on COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES, then on CREATIVE WRITING. In addition to the online application, we require that applicants submit the following materials. Please note that some of these materials must be sent to the Office of Admissions and others directly to MFA@FLA.
- Names and email addresses of two recommenders who are familiar with your academic record and your writing. You will provide this information on your online application. After the application is submitted, your recommenders will receive instructions for submitting their letters electronically. We do not accept hard-copy letters of recommendation.
- An official copy of your undergraduate (and, if applicable, graduate) transcript(s), to be submitted through one of the following approved courier services: Parchment, National Student Clearing House, eScrip Safe, Credential Solutions, or Transcripts Plus. If an email address is required for delivery, please use email@example.com. Alternatively, you may send a physical copy of your transcript(s) to:
Office of Admissions
University of Florida
201 Criser Hall
PO BOX 114000
Gainesville, FL 32611
- An official copy of your scores on the verbal and math portions of the GRE. We do not require that you take the English Subject test. Our GRE reporting codes are as follows: Institution code – 5812 / Department code – 2503.
- A complete MFA Fiction Manuscript Cover Sheet or MFA Poetry Manuscript Cover Sheet, to be submitted directly to MFA@FLA. (See below for details.) If you have trouble downloading, please try using Google Chrome or Firefox.
- A writing sample to be submitted directly to MFA@FLA. All samples should be submitted in .pdf format. Fiction applicants should submit two stories, part of a novel or longer narrative, or a story and part of a novel or longer narrative, the total not to exceed 25 pages. Poetry applicants should submit six to ten poems. Admission to the program is based primarily upon the manuscript. The writing faculty considers your writing before all else.
- We do not require a statement of purpose. Applicants should enter “N/A” in the online application’s corresponding field.
The cover sheet and writing sample should be emailed to this address. The subject line should be as follows:
- Last Name, First Name, Year Applying, Genre (fiction or poetry)
MFA@FLA does not accept hard-copy manuscripts.
The deadline for application to the MFA program is January 15, 2019.